2010年12月17日星期五

replica watch gift and thankfully

A quarter of the room was a bar -- a good sign -- but people milling about were drinking beer out of glasses -- not a good sign. There were lots of good-old-boy chuckles and nice-to-see-yous. Apparently this was a salty group, but I wouldnt have guessed it. There were about 200 people, more than half with gray hair, and half of those with beards, replica watch gift and thankfully, only one of those sporting a dorky sailor hat. I sat down next to a 49-year-old guy with a 2-year-old toddler, and thought: that makes me the second-youngest person in the room. I looked around, and saw a guy with the cicumnavigator button on his lapel, and a copy of Guzzwells book, Trekka Round the World, in his hands. A first edition, signed. I said Hi.

His name was Steve. I figured Id get down to details.Q: Do you think the danger of piracy is overhyped, like shark attacks?A: No, its ing dangerous. He told me about his trip through the Gulf of Aden in November of 1998. Its as serious as a heart attack, he said. Q: How long did you plan before you sailed?A: I did it many times in my swiss replica watches dreams before I did it for real. He continued. If you wanna be a tourist, buy a plane ticket. If you wanna see the world, dont take a sailboat. Its a lot of responsibility.Q: How long did it take you to readjust afterward?A: I didnt. I went to Barcelona and hung out.

I havent worked for 11 years.The presentation started before I had a chance to continue, and I was drowned out by a round of applause for the circumnavigators, who, it was said, give so much inspiration to the armchair circumnavigators. That was me. replica Audemars Piguet watches The emcee then joked about the size of crowd, and blamed the damn singlehanders -- types who just dont RSVP.To set the scene, we were reminded that we were about to hear a story 50 years old, and that while time passes, some things change, while others never do. The gray hairs and boats on the wall were a reminder of that.John Guzzwell got up, healthy and humble, charming and spirited, and started telling his story.